Saturday, February 27, 2010

What colour to paint Shaker Kitchen? Have oak floor and black granite worktops. Help with wall colour too!?

I'm at my wits end, and so too is my husband! Not sure what colour to do Shaker units. I'm thinking, because its such a 'classic choice of look/materials that there must some sort of 'best/definitive' colour to use. I tried a colour called Ecru by Fired Earth but it was too cold then I tried and peachy tone which was too overbearing with the oak. I have found a nice colour by Wickes called Barley which is a beige with a green undertone but not sure of whether its better on the units or the walls. Does it look odd to have the whole kitchen painted in the same colour; walls and units? Other colours in the area: dark brown/natural cream linen. is there a shade of cream that isn't too yellow/peach/pink? Preferably I'd like to buy an off the shelf colour in water based eggshell for the cupboards. ThanksWhat colour to paint Shaker Kitchen? Have oak floor and black granite worktops. Help with wall colour too!?
I am having the same dilemma as we speak!





I have used the 'Champagne' Satin Cupboard Makeover paint for the cupboards which looks good as it's a clean cream with not too much yellow in it.





Regarding the walls, we've tried loads of rustic looking greens from Fire Earth, Farrow and Ball, Dulex, Laura Ashely and others, and by far the best tone match was Vert de Terre by F%26amp;B. However, still not sure if it's the right match so doing the whole lot in cream - walls and cabinets as my theory is we can always change it later!





Good luck!What colour to paint Shaker Kitchen? Have oak floor and black granite worktops. Help with wall colour too!?
I got the cupboard makeover paint from Homebase.

Report Abuse



- and I think it is their own brand....

Report Abuse



What a great project! Here are a couple of resources that might be helpful:





Reliable Remodeler: http://www.reliableremodeler.com/remodel鈥?/a>





Shaker Shoppe: http://www.shakershoppe.com/TSScolor.htm鈥?/a>
I think you will find that most Shaker wood cabinets were not painted but oiled or varnished.
By Shaker Kitchen, you probably mean decorated in the style of the Shaker Society.


The Shakers were a very religious group. Most of their painted work, and walls of their homes were light blue. They called it Heavenly Blue.


I hope this is what you're looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment