Thursday, February 25, 2010

Want to paint my sunroom floor its cement. What kind of paint should I buy and I want to use those flakes also?

The sunroom has a cement floor I want to paint it with cement paint and place those nice decorative colored flakes on it once its done. Can you tell me what kind of paint to buy and where to buy it thanks so muchWant to paint my sunroom floor its cement. What kind of paint should I buy and I want to use those flakes also?
That's what I did to my kitchen floor!. I bought a 1 part epoxy paint and had them tint it to the color I wanted. Make sure the concrete isn't sealed by pouring water on it. If it's qicky absorbed then it hasn't been sealed. If it's sealed you will have to acid etch it by using muriatic acid. Make sure all windows and outside doors are open for ventilation. Rinse with vinegar and baking soda to neutralize. Prime with a concrete bonding primer:


http://www.behr.com/Behr/home#channel=PR鈥?/a>


http://www.epoxyproducts.com/acid.html


http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/1-part-e鈥?/a>


After concrete is clean,etched and dry apply the concrete bonding primer. I used a small sponge roller and brush for edges. Let dry 8 hours. Buy a small sponge roller kit and a couple of extra sponge rollers. Apply first coat of epoxy paint using small sponge roller.Place tray,roller and brush in zip-lock bag in the fridge. Let dry 24 hours. Apply second coat going the opposite direction. Let dry 24 hours. Last coat use a large 3/8'; nap roller and apply in 3' x 6' sections and sprinkle flakes on the wet paint. Continue this process until the floor is completely painted. It's okay to paint over some of the flakes. It won't make a difference. Let the epoxy paint cure for 72 hours and you are ready to seal it. I use the ZEP floor sealer(step 2)and ZEP high traffic floor finish(step 3)I apply 3 coats of each with 30 minutes between coats using a grout sponge. Put the sponge in a plastic bag between coats to keep it from drying out.


http://www.zepcommercial.com/products.as鈥?/a>


All these products are available at Home Depot. The drying and curing time are curcial to the paint working. My garage floor is painted and stained and my kitchen floor is done with the flakes.Want to paint my sunroom floor its cement. What kind of paint should I buy and I want to use those flakes also?
I'm thinking you want a floor similar to those in retail stores. That's not paint, it's a multiple part/task process that's done with specialty products and contractors that are not readily available to the public.





Home Depot offers 2 coatings that's similar that I've seen in the stores which incorporates the diamond dust and glitter you describe. Last I saw them they were in the paint department; (1) is by Behr which ran about $30 for the paint , glitter was $14, and $20 for the clear coat in either ';wet look'; or ';Low-luster';. (2) is by Rustoleum and the two stage epoxy box kit ran about $70 which inluded the glitter. In my actual experience of knowing paints and coatings I can tell you that the Rustoleum epoxy base would be by far a tougher more durable finish than Behr's.





Mike Lonergan


TradesProfessional, Inc.


http://tradesprofessional.com

No comments:

Post a Comment