Saturday, February 27, 2010

Do I need to remove paint from concrete before installing hardwood floor?

I am trying to install hardwood floors, but the person who gave me a quote for the job said I should remove some of the paint that apparently laned on the concrete when the house was being painted. Its not a very thick layer of paint, but it can be seen that some landed when they were spray-painting the entire house.....Do I really need to get rid of it?......If that paint becomes loose eventually, will it really affect the hardwood floor?Do I need to remove paint from concrete before installing hardwood floor?
Hardwood floors can lay straight onto the floor, leaving expansion gaps near the ends where they meet the walls, or you can lay them onto a piece of insulation material. Either case, you do not need to remove the paint from the concrete.Do I need to remove paint from concrete before installing hardwood floor?
no, it shouldn't be a problem, my floors are installed with a layer of 'felt' right over the old linoleum (Well, they are not actual hardwood, but they LOOK like it)
no
If you aren't sure about what you are doing then I advise that you do your homework before doing this job. I haven't ever put down a hardwood floor myself, and I am not questioning your ability to do the job either. One thing that stands out to me is that whatever type of floor that you might put down would need sub flooring of some kind over the concrete. Especially if you are putting a hardwood (or any type of wood) floor you would need a sub floor to nail into as you can't glue a wood floor successfully (???). The paint on the concrete floor will have no bearing one way or the other. Good luck and I hope the floor comes out great!!!
Obsolutely not. Sounds like he's trying to make a few extra bucks on you.
No. And I'd get my flooring from someone else. If this guys willing to tell you this preposterous lie, what else might he be willing to lie about?

No comments:

Post a Comment