Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Can I paint a parquet wood floor?

I have a pre-war apt. with hardwood parquet wood floors. The floors are beat up and so thin that the nailheads are coming up . I'm not ready to refinish them or to put down new floors yet but I was thinking of painting the with porch paint as a temporary measure. Can I do this? Will it look all right or will I ruin the floor?Can I paint a parquet wood floor?
It would probably look fine, but it will ruin the floors and make refinishing them a heck of a lot harder. If you plan on refinishing them in the future, I would get a product called Holloway House (near the mop-n-glow). Just squirt it onto the floors and mop it. It will dry to a shine and make the floors look better. You can also try the Orange Glo kit...found in WalMart near the mop-n-glow as well. I would really urge you to NOT paint the floors, especially for a temporary fix. Holloway House will work just fine. Good luck!Can I paint a parquet wood floor?
I would paint it first with kilz, then paint.





What might look really good is to make sure there is no varnish on them, and stain them. You could even stain it blue or green.





If you are planning on refinishing them, you may not want to paint them at all. The paint will absorb into the wood, and you may not be able to get it all out when you do decide to refinish them. That will probably ruin the floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment